CrossFit Over 40

WODs, Diet, Crossfit OldTown Gossip and Lifestyle Ramblings by MarkyD

Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Really?

Yes, as I alluded to in a recent post: Next Up? , I am actually taking a break from Crossfit. Don't worry people, it is not going to be a long break - I am thinking a week.

Coming off the Mid Atlantic Hopper, I really need it. Cause if you look at this picture, there is one thing to note.


And that important thing is, that Danya is a professional trainer and dance instructor who has competed and been athletic her whole life. And she is 8 years younger than I am. And after that, Jeremy and Laurie are 12 and 15(?) years younger than I am. So while they are all back at it, I am in more pain than I like to admit. I am proud of what we all did, but I am also secretly proud of the fact that doing this at 41 years of age, is pretty damn impressive. There are more than a few people I can think of that started to train for this event, and never made it due to injury.

Word of advice to those getting older and wanting to compete: It is great to be still standing on game day, but expect to be limping for the next few. Especially if your weekend consisted of a lot of max levels of rowing and deadlifting. I credit the mobility wods with allowing me to make it all the way to game day. Cause I really upped my intensity and could easily have overdone it.

But also, clearly Crossfit is the secret fountain of youth that many have searched for, and few are willing to endure. But think about Jeff Tincher, Jerry Hill, Tony Blauer, and you dont think that these guys are in their 40s or 50s. You think 20s. Jeff is 45+ and won the brutal final individual WOD. It is hard to fathom that.

So there you go. I have had a taste of competition, and I want more. And in about a week, I plan to get back after it harder than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment