CrossFit Over 40

WODs, Diet, Crossfit OldTown Gossip and Lifestyle Ramblings by MarkyD

Monday, August 10, 2009

First Friday Mark vs. Grace

Grace wins.

Pre WOD checklist - I had 135 on the bar, the back corner of the room, loud/angry music on my iPod and a bad attitude. I was warmed up and ready to give maximum effort for this short test.

I really thought I could go sub 3:00. And reps 1-15 flew by. Did 10 touch and go, dropped the bar and did another 5. Peeked up and it was just about a minute in. Then, as often happens, the wheels came off.

My final time was 3:45 - which is an amazing 2:04 better than First Friday in June. Or 35% better! But just 0:21 from a top 5 CFOT time - so close. And I coulda/shoulda/woulda done better.

Coulda - After rep 20 or so, I felt like someone charlie-horsed me in the thigh. So I came up lame and methodically finished up without the gusto I wanted to. 1 drop, 1 drop, 1, etc.... I will say that I never took one step away from that bar and picked it up every time it stopped bouncing. Also, the cleans felt good. No drops, and no real struggles. But all the jumping added up. I really hurt on the last 10 presses. Serious thigh pain. At least I know I was using my legs! So now I am limping and here I sit with an ice pack.

Shoulda - This injury is not a surprise to me considering that my legs have been sore and feeling under-stretched for days. Over training and not stretching is cool and macho. But on game day, it can backfire. I'm old - so I should be stretching more.

Woulda - Jerry was standing with me for a long stretch of Grace. But I was listening to my loud and angry music (System of a Down) and did not hear a damn thing he was saying. At one point I took off my headphones and he looked at me and said "Make sense?" Sorry man, but I have no idea what you said. Maybe the advice would have helped.

Last Sat we had the 30-20-10 workout that included cleans of 135, and I did those last 10 like a man on fire and I was whipped even before that. But today, I am sure I had a second or two of rest each rep. But it was actually the jerk presses that really caught up with me. Who knew.

Now that I have Grace out of my system, I am going to move on. Being done in less than 4 minutes while others in class are doing Murph, Nancy or other 30+minute workouts seemed like I was dogging it. Holding the door for runners and handing out encouragement was the least I could do with my time. Saw some gritty performances. Chad is getting stronger by the second and I think Christine looked miserable, but she would not quit.

Next First Friday - the opposite of Grace. Maybe Murph with a vest. 3 minutes into that one, I will be running by the river and digging in for a long awesome workout.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Mark!
    Just catching up on blog reading! Great fight with Grace on Friday.

    Just wanted to suggest an epsom salt bath for the super sore legs. Works like a charm. Yea, I know, a bath...I hate baths, but 5-10 minutes of a good soak and you'll feel like new! :)

    Off to some primal reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed reading this. That's a huge jump on Grace and you deserve many props. Your strategy is a good one ... touch and go and then singles. The trick ... go with the harder bumpers so you get zero bounce. Can wait to see you on the board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blain - that is a great nugget. You experienced guys have all the tricks. In the meanwhile, I have a lot of work to do on getting stronger and better conditioned. That is the real reason that I fade out.

    And Erin, I am not above having a bath. When you have a kid, just the thought of a few minutes of quiet time are priceless.

    ReplyDelete