CrossFit Over 40

WODs, Diet, Crossfit OldTown Gossip and Lifestyle Ramblings by MarkyD

Monday, August 24, 2009

Crossfit Lewes 08.24.09

A real good Crossfit visit today for two reasons.

First, I was happy to see 8 regulars at the 5:30pm session, after only a couple on Sat. And I was extra pleasantly suprised that of the nine people, it was: me plus Taryn, Michelle, Kim, Lori, Tina, Kathy and Elissa. Yup, me and 8 strong and beautiful women vs. Barbara today. Plus coach Meredith to encourage and yell a little.

If Meredith posts pictures, I will add them, cause I know it is hard to fathom.

I note that during the WOD there was a range of experience levels, with some Rx, some pullups with bands, some modified pushups, some med ball support in squats; but everyone was complete 100% intensity. No breaks. Very awesome. Very Crossfit. I think that shows the good coaching they have and the good members they attract. And I am not saying that because it was 8 women, I was just excited by 8 other Crossfitters going all out for 30+ minutes. Just like home.

The other great development was my pullups. It is my sad little secret that after 6+ months, I still cannot string together but a handful. I get away with it by just powering through, but that it such a waste of valuable time and energy. It could be due to my inflexible rotator cuff/shoulder (which is actually much better) or it could be simply that I do them wrong. Earlier in the month Jerry asked us to work on a weakness, and this was my choice. I had not gotten too far. Maybe at this point I am ashamed to tell my CFOT coaches that my pullups suck and I need help. However I'm pretty sure they already know.

Today I got to class a little early and mentioned my weakness to Meredith. She instantly observed that I am not pushing away at the top, thus losing all my momentum. (yeah just like Melissa tells me) Meredith also showed me a good drill which I will use before classes.

Luckily, I was about to get 100 chances to work on pullups because it is 3-2-1 Go!

Today's WOD:

Barabara - 5 rounds with a 3 minute break between rounds of:
20 pullups
30 pushups
40 ab mats
50 air squats

Total time less the 12 minutes of rest. I had 32:44-12:00=20:44.
I was happy. And I even had a couple of solid 5 pullup bursts with good kipping and momentum. But Barbara will wear you down.

I am sore and tired, and I struggled to carry around our friends super-sized 2 year old tonight. Her dad had to go home and I was annointed. She is 35 pounds if she is an ounce.


I am hoping for a break from metcons. Some cleans, jerks, 1 rep maxes, etc....

2 comments: