CrossFit Over 40

WODs, Diet, Crossfit OldTown Gossip and Lifestyle Ramblings by MarkyD

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Strict Press 5x5x5x5x5

Last time through this on Oct 1, I hit 135 for 5 and then 150 for 4 and a half. Today, I ambitiously started at 135 and then went 145 and tried 155. I was feeling good, but sure enough that is heavy weight to get for 5 reps. I got 2 good, one ugly and then a miss and drop. Took a break and hit 147 for 5. Baby steps, but it was a PR. I guess fuzzy math would say a 12 pound PR over last time's 135#, but given the almost at 150, maybe not really. Confused - me too.

Anyway - LtCol Dan hit a huge 165 12 hours earlier at 0515, and I was fired up to give it a go. Maybe if I warmed up light and went right to 165 - I could have done it, or close. But after a few sets, I was quickly tiring.

Does it make sense for me to try to match someone with at least 50 more pounds of muscle than me. Not a chance. But with this exercise I feel I can. And I will keep trying.

Although a shortish workout, and I skipped the extra - I was sore and muscles all kinds of pumped up later. My daughter called me Popeye again, so I will call it a good day.

This has been some kind of powerful run at CFOT. Counting back to last Sat, we have done 1 to 5 reps of: Max Clean, Max Snatch, Max Front Squat and Max Strict Press and tomorrow max Deadlift. On the other day, we did that nasty chipper with 155# clean & jerks for 15 reps. I better slam some protein. Got some almonds?

No comments:

Post a Comment