CrossFit Over 40

WODs, Diet, Crossfit OldTown Gossip and Lifestyle Ramblings by MarkyD

Saturday, November 14, 2009

9 months of Crossfit - A recap

It has now been just over 9 months since I started Crossfit. Seeing a new batch of eager new applicants at 10 am this Saturday, ready for their first intro class; made me think back to my day 1, and all that has happened since. At the end of summer, I wrote about my first 6 months. My results were visible and dramatic. I had lost more than 20 pounds and was getting stronger and making progress all the time. Almost every single max effort lift day ended with a PR. Oh, those happy early days.

Since then, things have naturally tailed off - although less than I expected. There is no way I could have kept up my initial pace. Otherwise, I would be as skinny as Chad N and as strong as Blain by this point. So in a few categories, here is what is new with me and Crossfit.

Diet & weight - I walked I the door at 187 and after 6 months I was down 21 pounds to 166. I was also noticeably more muscular. I have continued to follow the Primal Blueprint diet, but not nearly as strictly. About a month ago I hit 160 for the first time that I can remember since high school. I have had to buy all new belts and pants. Really. Then I went to Vegas – not a Primal town – took a break from Primal – and reasonable. Ever since I have not been quite as strict. And like clockwork, I have put a few pounds back on, and now weigh between 163-165 most days. I feel like that is a good weight for me. It is not like I could go the rest of my life without eating another piece of bread, pizza, a bagel, a cupcake, etc... But I try to limit. I don’t crave sugar at all. Sometimes it is OK to indulge. But the results further prove to me that the Primal Blueprint is gospel, because when I eat grains or sugar, I see an immediate increase in weight.

Injuries – Talk to anyone who has done Crossfit for a while, and there are stories of pain, injury and recovery. For me, it is in my left shoulder. I walked in the door with this problem, and the taxing workouts have aggravated it. I have a lot of pain. I have been to a few doctors, had an MRI and taken pills and taken breaks. The end results is; that the pain is not going away, and I have to manage it. I am old and I need to stretch - before and after. And I need to ice, and rest, and complain. I find a good rotation of those three is best.

PR’s – Funny thing. I was thinking about writing this with the theme that the PRs now don’t happen all the time anymore. And today, I went in and added 13#s to my Power Clean. What a nice day. I knew based on the programming, and work that we have put in, that this was coming. But better than knowing it, was doing it. It was great to step up to the bar and do it – twice. But for the most part, as my technique has gone from rookie to moderate, the gains have come in smaller increments and more slowly. But amazingly, they still do happen. It shocks me that at 40+ I can definitively say that I am the strongest that I have ever been in my life, and still getting stronger.

Fight Gone Bad – I was so full of myself going into this and really got my ass handed to me. I thought that 300 was a realistic goal, and I walked out with 222 and in a world of hurt. I don’t have the stamina or endurance that I need and there is only one way to get it. So I will keep coming in and working as hard as I can. That and my asthma inhaler – which I forgot that day - oops.

The Hopper – As good as a learning experience as it was, and as awesome as the atmosphere was to be a part of, I was disappointed in myself. The first event was the push jerk, and I happen to have freakishly strong shoulders. I always have. Even back in 1990 when I was a Wake Forest Cheerleader hoisting cute girls over my head. But I have been lazy, and never worked on the proper technique for the jerk. I was happy to push press 205 and still be near the top of the leader board. But others have shown me that with good technique they kept upping their weights. I know for a fact that if I had worked on this, I could have added another 20 or 30 pounds and instead of placing 9th, I could have been 4th or 5th. So lesson learned. The last event, I had to DNF. I thought I could do the very heavy 155# front squats, and I can - for 3 to 5 reps, but not 21-15-9. I should have backed off and scaled, even after starting. But pride and then injury got in my way. I tried one rep of front squatting this today, and sure enough it is still very heavy.

The Coach - We are really lucky. Lucky that Crossfit has become more popular and available. And very lucky that Jerry Hill opened his doors near us. At the beginning of the year, I was in a real rut at the Sport & Flex, and in general. Turning 40 can be a crappy milestone and I was very depressed about it. Because turning 40, combined with many years of the same job, the same wife, the same house, the same kid and being depressed about your fitness is not good at all. I was bored and depressed about myself. I really needed a new (positive) focus and I believe that Jerry/Crossfit saved me. His enthusiasm from the minute I was thinking of joining through the shout out this morning for getting a PR is amazing and unfailing. And yet, what he really speaks is the truth. He does not encourage you just to make you feel better, he does it because he knows and believes in you. And while his critiques can be harsh – they are also true. He will not tell you a crappy lift is a good lift. And that is the way should be. I believe in Crossfit, but I truly believe in Jerry Hill and Crossfit Oldtown. I wish there was a way I could pay him back a tenth of what I get out of this.

Thanks also – To all the coaches and Crossfit Oldtown community. I see Jerry and Melissa the most, and I owe them for much of my success. This constant tips and cues and extra time with me are appreciated. I am also thankful for being able to listen to good tunes while I exercise, and for having my idea of fitness turned upside down. I am thankful for the community of people that give me tips and encouragement all the time. We razz each other for missing a day, but we also are there to pick each other up when needed. For example, after the hopper I stopped in at KSB by myself and had a beer and complained to Katie. Just venting really helped, and god knows my wife is tired of hearing Crossfit this and Crossfit that. And the daily chats with Soni and the near constants chats with Chad keep me learning, and encouraged. So thanks to all. Plus the other athletes at CFOT are so inspiring, from Grace who I am not sure I have ever spoken to, but I always notice she has perfect form and never quits, to Blain and Gar who are really strong - like I want to be. And Chriss S. who is our so-far CFOT Hopper leader and has a few years on even me. Why shouldn't I be encouraged to work hard.

That’s all folks. More fun ahead.

4 comments:

  1. More fun indeed!
    Thanks for the shout out and for being such an inspiration Marky D!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coach - Today was great. I was intimidated going into it. But aside from the M/U I was able to do it all Rx and did not really falter. Even the last 800m run was steady.

    I do not think I could have done so even a few months ago. Honest to god, I believe that simply showing up and doing the work is a foolproof method to improve. Never seen anything like it.

    I cannot imagine why anyone works out any other way, or with any other coach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even get a chance to read this yet! Good stuff brother - there is something to be said about our coaches & community. They both breed success & celebrate victories at an alarming rate, it's just awesome to be a part of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean - I can only wonder if this set up is replicated all across CrossFit nation? Hard to be sure. But what we have is great.

    I feel like all I have to do is dedicate myself to showing up and working hard when there, and the progress works as if by magic.

    9 months in and I just hit 5 PRs in a 7 day stretch. How is that even possible?

    ReplyDelete