CrossFit Over 40

WODs, Diet, Crossfit OldTown Gossip and Lifestyle Ramblings by MarkyD

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Anyone catch the license plate of the bus that ran me over?

The day after..... After the dog fight to remember.

I miss my 20s. When I could do a workout like yesterday's brutal effort and wake up feeling OK. But after 40, my legs, arms and traps feel every one of the 50+ cleans I attempted yesterday (30 successes and at least 20 misses)

Today was max 1 rep jerk. I should have been excited and I should have PRd. But my sore legs did not want to dive under the bar, and I didn't really either. I believe I basically push pressed up to 185 and called it a day. Worked back down and tried to do proper form at 135 and then the bar. Did a drill with the PVC with coaches.

Then I shuffled off to work looking like Fred Sanford.

I am wondering if even coming in today was worth it, or should I have rested. Thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. From my own experience, dealing with DOMS depends on where you are at physically. When my body wasn't used to this stuff day in and day out I found that I had to push through for about two weeks, and after that it could take anything I could throw at it.

    However, on the rare occasion when my body is really screaming at me and it's not a rest day, I feel ok taking a day off. Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam-
    Thanks. I have got to get over my Crossfit guilt and take a rest day when I need one. Today was a wasted effort, which put me in a foul mood. Plus, I suspect Thursday will be a metcon, and it would have been better for me to be rested for that. That is more of a weak spot for me than overhead presses and jerks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel you on the guilt over resting because it feels like you're being being lazy. I just keep reminding myself that it's not the exercise (and muscle breakdown that ensues) that makes us stronger, it's the recovery from our workouts that make us stronger.

    ...I should warn you against using Advil and other NSAIDS. That valuable muscle recovery takes place under the healing process of inflamation, and anti-inflamatorys block that process. Inotherwords, taking advil will actually make you weaker, because you're tearing down your muscles without letting them rebuild. (if you search for "Vitamin I" you should find the xfit post talking about this).

    If you're able to, I highly recomend getting a massage. Jetta is a great massuse(sp?) at Old Town Massage Center.

    ReplyDelete
  4. two thoughts ... one, the people at the mall give a killer massage and it's only $1 a minute. two, listen to your body but as much as you don't realize it, you did get stronger. as Gar tells me, real men crossfit 6 days a week and rest on sundays. dads are allowed to crossfit 5 days a week and take 2 rest days but only if you have other pressing weekend tasks. the only day i don't go into the box ... when I feel like I might injure myself. I know Coach wouldn't agree, but that's the rule I follow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adam-I had heard that about Motrin, etc.. I will try to resist. It makes no sense to endure a brutal workout and not get the benefit.

    Blain - There have been weeks where I have been 5 or 6 times, but it wears me down. Maybe it is my advanced age.

    Both of you keep up the intensity towards next week.

    ReplyDelete